1. NOTED: the following proposal to postpone the next meeting of the UCU Commission on Union Democracy to the Rhubarb Season: https://loonylefty.wordpress.com/2013/03/22/a-proposal-to-hold-the-next-meeting-of-ucus-commission-on-trade-union-democracy-to-rhubarb-season/
2. NOTED: We are forming a Facebook group for Lunatics and other disabled people in the trade union movement and wider Left. If you are a lunatic or other disabled person, please join by following the link in the post here: http://grumpyoldtrot.wordpress.com/2013/03/22/disabled-lefties/
3. NOTED: We have still not received a response from Mark Serwotka with regards how PCS would like lunatics to campaign against the Welfare reforms in such a way that PCS feels confident that we do not pose a fire hazard: https://loonylefty.wordpress.com/2013/03/12/a-disabled-persons-plea-to-pcs-general-secretary-mark-serwotka/
4. NOTED: that members of the UCU delegation to the TUC Women’s Conference at Congress House last week did receive an explanation from members of the PCS delegation for the events described in point 3 above, along the lines that PCS set the police on me for campaigning against the Welfare reforms on grounds that “they’d never experienced activism from a person with a mental health condition before and they didn’t know what to do. They just panicked.”
4.1. that based on feedback already received from within “disabled people are human beings” extremist groups, this explanation above be officially adopted as the single most hilarious example of disability discrimination yet to have come out of the trade union movement and wider Left;
4.2. a clarification be requested from PCS as to whether the above is the official PCS position on the matters described in point 3 above, or whether this is simply the position of the SWP within PCS.
5. CALL FOR CONSULTATION: given the confusion that can arise when lunatics are accidentally elected to trade union office by bodies such as UCU National Congress and UCU Wales Congress, it has been proposed that a motion be submitted to UCU National Congress 2013 in Brighton that lunatics be required to carry a bell at all times, like medieval lepers used to have to do, so that they are never again accidentally elected to trade union office by unsuspecting delegates. Lunatics are invited to participate in a consultation process with regards the colour, size, musical tone of the bell.
Please circulate this email to all disabled people in the trade union movement or wider Left, and particularly to lunatics and suspected lunatics.
Dr Liza van Zyl, convenor